Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Ham & Bacon's journey to Neverland

I love animals. I can remember vividly the moments when I got my first pet goldfish. I was about 9 years old. As my father was clearing the backyard, he found a couple of junk huge glass bottles and had a 'brilliant' idea of rearing fishes in them. How excited I was!
Obviously that idea did not work out as we had planned. Imagine trying to 'insert' delicate, fragile goldfish into a glass bottle with a NARROW opening! Hmmm.... we may have been able to get them in but the thought of trying to wash the 'tank' is out of this world.

Finally we ended up buying the whole basic set ie an aquarium, pump, food, lights, fake vegetations etc and the cost kept escalating! I somehow believe the glassbottle aquarium was my father's sneaky idea to get my mother to agree on keeping a pet as we didnt have to spend $$ on an aquarium which can be costly.

Since then, I ve had not only numerous goldfish but also 4 hamsters, a pair of birds, many cats and my very own Shih Tzu (dog).

Owning and caring for a pet is a very fulfilling job. I would imagine the same for a mother nursing and nurturing her own child. For me, it is a good way to de-stress after a long day's work. Of course comes with owning a pet is the responsibility to care for its overall wellbeing and health. They should be treated and loved like one of the family. Doing research of the pets which you may be interested in bringing home is crucial to avoid disappointments and frustrations that can potentially lead to cruelty and abadonment.

Hubby and I recently adopted 2 male Syrian hamsters.
Getting them was no easy matter! From the start, I was adamant to get a Syrian breed as they are easier to tame and definitely easier and more fun to handle as they are larger in size in comparison to the dwarf hamsters (which I think are living 'ornaments' ie it's really fun to watch but not very fun to play with)
We visited PetCo and turned out that they had no Syrians and we frantically called all the nearby PetCo chains to find out that the supply for Syrians had stopped as they kept getting a batch of wet-tails (a form a severe diarrhoea in Syrians that can cause severe dehydration and death).
I was very disappointed and my search of an hamster pet was delayed further.

Lo and behold, I was browsing Craig's list and found exactly what I wanted and not just one, but two! Ham & Bacon were purchased from a lady that lived in Covington (which is 45 minutes drive from Seattle) and she was fairly honest about the hamsters fighting before but no serious injuries. I paid $30 for 2 hamsters, one glass aquarium cage with one igloo home , water bottle, food dish and a wheel. Not a bad deal at all! Dear hubby was the sweetest to drive all the way and back just to fetch my lil' darlings.


Feasting together


Ham curious to know what's happening outside his igloo

They were 2 months old when I got them.

No comments: