Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Ski Accident


My worst fear has finally come to face me and bite me in the ass. No one's fault really. When you make the decision to place your life at the hands of two poles, and two skinny long skis to help you get down an icy, slushy slope, that's the risk you place upon yourself for indulging in an extreme sport.


Applying R.I.C.E

I am now officially one of those pathetic, pitied upon, embarrassed skiers who needed to be brought down the slope by ski patrol on a toboggan.

It was January 16th 2010 at Crystal Mountain in WA, only my second run of the day on the long greens, that I fell after completing a left parallel turn. Apparently, I fell the 'wrong' way ie I fell on my back, my bindings did not come off, and I spun down the slope for a good 20 to 30 feet before coming to a stop. Oh have I mentioned that the conditions that day were horrible? No powder snow, it was all blocks of compact ice with slippery parts. Also, my rentals at Crystal were the worst I ever had. The boots were so uncomfortable even while standing stationary.

I did not feel much pain as it happened. Just maybe a little achy on the knees. However, when I tried standing on my feet again, that's when I realized something major has gone wrong in my right knee. The moment I bear weight on my right knee, I felt immediately the two bones that make up my knee joint (tibia and femur) were going in opposite directions. That marks the end of my ski season, pretty much.

Kudos to the Ski Patrol team and EMTs (emergency medical technician) at Crystal for they have handled my situation very well and professionally! Back at the clinic, I was given R.I.C.E. Folks out there, when facing with any acute musculoskeletal injury, remember R.I.C.E for immediate management:-

  • Rest
  • Ice
  • Compression
  • Elevation
So do not be afraid to rest, apply ice compression (make sure there's no direct ice-skin contact) and elevate the injured limb above the level of your heart. All these measures are taken to reduce immediate swelling and inflammation that comes with the injury. If there is puncture wound, or uncontrollable pain and excessive swelling or discoloration of the skin, please seek help at the nearest clinic/hospital as soon as possible.



No comments: